Thursday 9 May 2013

A list - what do I WANT?

So, yesterday I may have had a small meltdown.  That realisation that unemployment means it is actually possible to sit on the sofa for 12 hours without moving hit me a lot harder than I thought it would.

But I promised yesterday that I would go outside today, and that I would write a list.  The plan was to write a list about what I want from my next job move/ my life.  That hasn't really happened.  What I did write was a list of things I want to do while I don't have a job.  Not what I think other people think I should do.   

Well, I thought I'd share my list with you.  That way, maybe someone will hold me to account and make sure I don't spend the next four months (until my savings run out and my dissertation is due) eating cake in my pyjamas.

So here's the list:

  1. Blog more - when I started this blog, I wanted to tell people about what I was up to in New York.  Which I did.  And then I realised that I quite enjoy writing down the nonsense that pops into my head.  After my short period of writer's block, I realised I enjoy it so much, I've even bought a little notebook which I carry round with me to write down things that I think of during the day.  So although there may be periods of radio silence, I am going to write at least two posts each week.  
  2. Clean more - I got home one evening last week to find my kitchen had been taken over by a herd of centipedes (well, three).  I can deal with crawling things (as long as they're not furry, jumpy or near my face - I once killed a rare butterfly at butterfly world because it flew near my face, but don't tell anyone) - but I very much dislike them being in my kitchen.  Now that I have the time, I'm going to do a proper spring clean, before it gets much warmer outside and the crawling things become too big to throw out of the window.
  3. Cook more - I opened the fridge this afternoon to find the following: garlic bread (reduced to 29p), half a foot-long rocky road cake (reduced to 43p, out of date, still delicious!), Quorn ham (reduced to 17p), half a garlic clove (shriveled, probably inedible), and six mushrooms (just about still edible).  The freezer is not much better.  I suppose now I don't have a job, I don't have the excuse that I'm too busy/ exhausted to cook.  A dinner of garlic bread and potato waffles just won't do any more.
  4. Skype more - I have a lot of friends in a lot of places all over the world, and although I have a vague idea of what they're up to (thanks to the wonder/ nightmare that is Facebook), I actually have no idea what they're doing and how they are.  I've never been very good at keeping in touch with people (I'm the person who sees a text messages, plans the response, thinks I've sent it and realises three days later that I either half wrote it and got distracted by something shiny, or sent it to the wrong person).  I hate the fact I'm not very good at keeping in touch.  So I will try harder.  I just need to remember my Skype password...
  5. Plan more - I am even worse at sticking to a plan than I am at keeping in touch with people.  I think the only plan I've kept to recently was the one to leave my job, and even that didn't go to plan (yes, I left, but the rest of the plan went out of the window).  I would quite like to organise myself to be more organised.  To do lists will be stuck to the wall; I will know what I'm going to have for dinner every day (and make sure the relevant ingredients are actually in the flat rather than still in Lidl/ Tesco); my diary and my phone calendar will be in sync, with the same events on the same days at the same times; and I will achieve something every day.  Even if that something is just brushing my hair (future blog-post about that to come).  
  6. Get out more - I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the whole wide world, and yesterday I spent the day sitting in my pyjamas on the sofa.  What a spectacular waste of time.  I need to go exploring, to visit places and actually see them, rather than rush past on my way to somewhere more important
  7. Photograph more - I have a beautiful digital SLR camera that I was given for my 21st birthday, which has spent most of the last 6 months collecting dust.  I love taking photos, but I was too scared to take my fancy camera to New York, and I've been too busy since I got back to be able to do anything.  I'm going to try and start with a "photo a day" and see where that takes me.
  8. Sleep more - Sleep is wonderful, but I never seem to get enough of it.  Rather than feeling lazy for not getting up at 7am every day, I'm going to use that time to recharge my batteries.  This is not a bad thing!
  9. Volunteer more - I love volunteering.  If someone would pay me to volunteer, my life would be sorted.  I've come to the conclusion that one of the best ways to get some experience in an area I'm actually really keen to work in is to volunteer.  I know I'd like to work on issues relating to violence against women and girls, but there is a heeeeuuuuge range of options within that, and since I apparently have no relevant experience or qualifications, or idea where to start, I might as well start with volunteering!
  10. Study more - I have been really rubbish at studying this year.  I had an exam on Tuesday and didn't start revising until last Friday, and that's the most organised I've been since January.  I really want to do a good job of my dissertation, so I am going to spend at least one day a week in the library.  Actually reading, not just playing on Facebook and cowering in fear (books scare me - too much knowledge that I will never know - don't ask).  And I will meet with my Supervisor at least more than once in the next three months.  Maybe I'll start tomorrow.
So that's the list.  I'll keep you posted with how it's going!
Rx        

No comments:

Post a Comment