Tuesday 21 May 2013

"The points were sharp"... 100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups

This week's prompt for the 100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups was inspired by a trip to an acupuncturist.  

After posting my last 100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups post, I realised I'd got it in just under the wire, with just a few hours until the next prompt was posted.  As I have a friend staying with me this weekend, and I have 7000 words of my dissertation to write before next Monday, I thought I'd get this one in with time to spare!

My inspiration for my 100 words was this picture, taken in the Amazon rainforest on a Girlguiding trip to Guyana:

Poison Dart Frog
... the points were sharp...

The points were sharp, tipped with the poison of the yellow frog found hiding in the water that collects at the bottom of the bucket plants, deep in the rainforest.

Maybe not so deep after all.  Not anymore.  The men and their machines were moving closer.  Every day, trees would fall, the birds and animals running, screaming for help. 

Nothing could help them now.  Nothing but her poison-tipped arrows and her perfect aim.  Deep down, she knew she stood no match against the men and their machines.  But still she stood, arrow drawn.  The points were sharp, tipped with poison.

5 comments:

  1. I love this post. I sometimes feel that repetition is madness in 100 words, but this reads and works really well.
    Good luck with the dissertation!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enamored with the picture! how petite and yet potent such beings are... I agree that repetition in the responses is sometimes too much, but you nailed it. and I like that your character is feminine...seems to strengthen the image, somehow. I guess small and vulnerable as the petite frog, yet unknowingly potent beyond awareness... nicely done.
    Good luck on the dissertation...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very well done. And your picture is amazing.

    ReplyDelete